Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Raft or Rock?

Imagine you are in the middle of the ocean and you are trying to take care of so many things that you feel you may drown. Now imagine that you try to reach out to someone for help. You hope that the person you find is a life raft and is able to hold you up so that you don't sink. But what happens if the person you reach out to is a rock? And you know if you grab onto them, you will quickly sink to the bottom?

There are occasions in life when you feel you are drowning in day-to-day life, work, finances or other problems and need to reach out for someone hoping to find a raft. Will there be one there for you? Do you have someone you can count on to hold you up when you need it most?

There will also be times in life when you will be called upon for support. Truth be told, you can choose to hold them up and give them the support they need to get through the rough seas or you can choose to treat them like they aren't in need of your help and are only seeking attention. It is hard to tell what they really need, but when it comes down to it, you have to decide whether to be a raft or a rock.

Earlier today I was dealing with some difficult financial decisions and my gut reaction was to reach out for my husband. He wasn't sympathetic however and made me feel like I was reaching out for a rock. After a while of feeling sorry for myself, I remembered that I was reaching out for the wrong person. God should be the raft in my life. He can hold me up when the seas of life are threatening to drown me. I have to remember to reach out for Him, or else He can't help me.

I can't promise that the people around you won't become rocks when you need them, but I can promise that He will be a raft for you when you need Him. Just ask!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Very well put! Your writing are so very well written and so very inspiring! I love it and I aqree! :) I hope things begin to look up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words Rebecca! Things have to start looking up for us soon. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! ;)

    ReplyDelete